Welcome to Thriving-Baby-Boomers – A Whole person approach to wellness
“Empowering others to take a balanced approach to their own health and wellness by focusing on all aspects of the whole person.’
“Focusing on the whole person to maximize health and wellness for life.”
Spirituality for Baby Boomers
Spirituality is another piece of the whole-person pie. Spiritual is not the same as religious.
Wikipedia says that ‘… social scientists have defined spirituality as the search for “the sacred,” where “the sacred” is broadly defined as that which is set apart from the ordinary and worthy of veneration.”
I like their definition of ‘searching for the sacred’. . . ‘Worthy of veneration’ which, to me, can be internally sacred, such as recognizing or honoring ‘the spirit of God within’, or externally sacred such as sitting in awe and wonder at nature, the pounding waves of the ocean, or a beautiful summer sunset.
I’ve searched all my life for ‘the meaning of life,’ ‘the Bigger Picture’ and I really think that one needs to find something for themselves that make sense and gives them comfort and purpose.
I can remember being quite young, elementary school-aged and going to my classmates’ churches – seeking ‘something,’ but I never found it in church. During my mid-twenties I really became earnest in my search for spirituality, asking such questions as: “What’s the meaning of life? Is there a God? Who is God? Where is God? ‘Why am I here?
I don’t proclaim to know the answers to these questions for anyone else; I’m just here to share my experiences on my spiritual quest.
Some aspects of spirituality which I’ve studied, and researched are
Some qualities that emerge, and grow as a result of spiritual practices can be:
These are MY answers to the above-mentioned questions; they may or may not fit or make sense to you.
- “What’s the meaning of life? The best I’ve been able to come up with is that it is to be lived with Great Love, and Great Consciousness. . .
- Is there a God? I don’t like the word ‘God’ – there’s too much dogma attached to the word. I prefer the term, ‘Higher Power,’ ‘Divine Power,’ ‘Creator.’ Yes, I believe there is a Divine Unlimited Source of Creation.
- Who is God? Again, I don’t believe in a Divine Being, I believe in a Divine Power. If I have to answer who is God, the answer is we are all God – each and every person has the Divine Spark of God, the Divine Breath of God within, and we are all Divine Expressions of God experiencing Life through us, and as us.
- Where is God? God is ALL that there is, therefore, ‘god’ is everywhere. ‘God’ is the Divine Spirit within each and every one of us. The rocks, trees, flowers, sunsets, oceans, are all expressions of the Divine – and that’s where the sacredness lies.
- ‘Why am I here? To love – to BE Love in its fullest expression in all my affairs. . . and NO, I don’t do this all the time; and I have to work at it all the time – to stay aware and conscious of my thoughts, feelings and actions and constantly make course corrections along the way.
Books on Spirituality That I Recommend
Please click on a link to read my review of the book
- Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism (4th Edition) by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
- Illusions: the adventures of a reluctant messiah by Richard Bach
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
- One: a novel by Richard Bach
- The Science of Successful Living: the spiritual formula for a joyous life by Raymond Charles Barker
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical guide to the fulfillment of your dreams by Deepak Chopra
- The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer
- Real Magic by Dr. Wayne Dyer
- Wishes Fulfilled by Dr. Wayne Dyer
- Sermon on the Mount by Emmet Fox
- Peace in our Time by Cam Hamoline
- 365 Days of Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes
- Living the Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes
- The Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes
- Don’t Fall Off The Mountain by Shirley MacLaine
- Out on a Limb by Shirley MacLaine
- You Can’t Get There From Here by Shirley MacLaine
- The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr. Joseph Murphy
- The Superbeings by John Randolph Price
- 25 Words by Barb Rogers
- The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz
- The Fifth Agreement by don Miguel Ruiz, & don Jose Ruiz
- Conversations With God (Books I, II, & III) by Neale Donald Walsch
Copyright © 2012 – 2019 thriving-baby-boomers.com. All rights reserved.
This website is for information purposes only and is not intended to be, or to serve as, a substitute for legal, financial, or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek professional advice.