Welcome to Thriving-Baby-Boomers – A Whole person approach to wellness
“Empowering others to take a balanced approach to their own health and wellness by focusing on all aspects of the whole person.’
“Focusing on the whole person to maximize health and wellness for life.”
Weekend Getaways for Baby-Boomers
For me, I think of a weekend getaway as somewhere I can travel to by car or RV within a few hours. Others might consider hopping a plane and jetting off to somewhere exotic for the weekend.
For us Baby-Boomers, some things to consider might be:
- How long can you tolerate the travel portion whether by car, RV, train or airplane?
- How much money do you have for your weekend getaway?
- Do you need to buy travel insurance?
- Are all your health and medical needs up to date?
- Health coverage
- What are you going to do when you get to your destination?
- Visit family or friends
- Convention or conference
- Spiritual Retreat
- Historical visit (museums, art galleries, etc.)
For me, a weekend is too short. I prefer to get away for a minimum of four or five days. I generally take the Greyhound bus to the Coast to make a combined visit with family and friends.
A couple of my most recent trips that I enjoyed were:
When I started out planning this trip in the spring of 2017, I was only going down to the Lower Mainland, BC to see my sister. Then I realized that there was nothing pressing or urgent that I had to be back at any specific time. So I contacted a couple of friends who also live in the Lower Mainland to see if they were going to be around when I was down. Turns out I spent two nights with my sister; three nights with my one friend and three nights with my other friend; making a whole week of travel and visiting.
With each person we did a variety of things:
- My sister took me to bird-watching locations where we saw hundreds of eagles and I treated her out to brunch. We watched a couple of really good movies on TV.
- My one friend took me to the beach and we enjoyed a fine-dining experience every night, as well as a lot of quiet visiting time.
- My other friend and I got around the Lower Mainland via bus and SkyTrain and spent a lot of time in Nature – hiking Burnaby Mountain and exploring other secret nature areas he took me to.
My second getaway was going to Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland in August of 2017. Well – my original trip was just a two-day jaunt to the Island for a BC Green Party annual Convention. But on the way down I connected with my ‘fine-dining’ friend and she invited me to stay with her on my way back from the convention.
I had pretty much a full day to myself in the Oak Bay, Williams Beach – Victoria area before the Convention started. I found my way to ‘the beach,’ where I was able to spend about an hour barefoot in the sand, just sitting and watching the waves and matching my breathing to them. To me it was heaven!! I have a picture above my desk from that beach which I look at daily and want to go back to someday soon.
Source – Linda Wall
After the convention, my friend and I spent a few days together checking out a condo she was interested in buying and some beaches. We enjoyed more fine dining experiences as we celebrated her offer on the condo being accepted! I felt proud and honoured to ‘be there’ for her as she went through the emotions and nervousness of buying a new home.
What do you like to do on a weekend getaway? Leave your comments in the box below.
Return to Travel
Copyright © 2012 – 2021 thriving-baby-boomers.com. All rights reserved.
This website is for information purposes only and is not intended to be or to serve as, a substitute for legal, financial, or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek professional advice.